Monday, March 17, 2014

Dumbass tweets make front page news

I don't know what's a bigger joke, and not in the funny sense - some stupid tweets from dumbass teenagers, or the fact that this made Mlive and the Argus due to some long dead New York City transplant who was dead before these teenagers were born. If this was black students railing against "crackers" in Detroit, it wouldn't make the news. If it was white students in Fenton, it might have made the news, but probably not. Because it's Howell, and the geographically ignorant white guilt media is who we thought they are, it's the news.

Unfortunately, this is distracted from what SHOULD be the story. Howell won a regional title in basketball winning over Grand Blanc 54-49. Good for them, and I say that as a Bulldog. The story is the race card. Again.
Hey Stoopid! All of you. The twits that posted that most of all, and also to only a slightly lesser extent, the media who made a story out of this, and most of all, those who are ignorant about reality in Livingston County.

From the Argus:


This weekend, a small, very small, yet toxic part of Livingston County history bubbled forth from the ignorant ooze from which it came.
It’s a drop, a small drop, but it once again casts aspersions on an entire community based on the ignorant assumptions of a tiny minority.
They came after Howell beat Grand Blanc in the regional basketball final on Thursday night, and they came on that platform where some people clearly relish their ignorance: Twitter.
Stuff about how Howell’s win was a win for white power. Stuff about proud racism.
Well, “stuff” is the word I use here. The real word rhymes with the first syllable of “Twitter.”
Because that’s what it is. Feel free to add “bull.”
The people who posted some of this stuff were Howell High School students. School officials told MLive.com that they would discipline those responsible, since it wasn’t that hard to figure out who did.

I agree that it was bullshit, so why make a story out of it?

Mlive

HOWELL, MI -- Shocking tweets celebrating a "white" team's victory erupted Thursday following the Howell boys basketball win over Grand Blanc.
Several students in Howell are now facing disciplinary action, according to the high school principal.
Grand Blanc lost 54-49 to Howell in the Class A regional final at Linden High School Thursday.
Among the Twitter messages posted after the game the night of March 13:
"Not only did we beat Grand Blanc but we're all white. Howell's the definite winner tonight."
"All hail white power. #HitlerIsMyDad"
"Tonight was probably one of the most racists nights of my life. I heard so many slurs and expressions. I also said a few things..."
Hastags with other tweets included  #kkk, #lightthehcross, #rosaparks, #wewhite.
Howell High School Principal Jason Schrock said he's well aware of the tweets, and disciplinary action has been taken against those involved.

This is the merging of shock value and sports fan culture (which frankly is a lot more harsh in Europe). Sports fan culture is harsh. The boo birds are tough. It shouldn't be as much in High School (although we all loved boos and getting ripped by other team fans), but I remember a few chants from students that I'm not going to repeat here. No, they weren't racial slurs, but it wasn't very nice. It was shock value. There's some lines that shouldn't be crossed, but they are. Teenagers in general do dumbass things. It's why they aren't adults. It's their nature, especially if they have been drinking. Most of them grow up, mature, and learn how to properly deal with people. The rest become politicians and media people. Those tweets obviously crossed the line. I shouldn't even have to say that, but I don't want the media to take these posts out of context. It is well known that racial crap is unacceptable in polite society, including our own Livingston County. That's why those tweets were sent out. It's going to obviously get a reaction. On that same note, the "World Wide Web" has the word "World" out there, and guess what. They aren't really anonymous.  Hey Stoopid!

In my three years I lived in Howell, I never heard any racial crap there. In my 35 years in Livingston County, I haven't heard it much since I grew up. Howell, Brighton, or the townships. It's viewed as unacceptable for obvious reasons. I've heard it on very rare occasions. I won't say never, but I haven't heard any in two years in this county, even down to the comment level. The last I heard here was in Green Oak by someone who lived in Farmington Hills, not a place which gets suspected of this stuff. Does that speak for Farmington Hills or Green Oak? No. It speaks for the dumbass who said it. No more. No less. The most recent racial crap I heard not on TV was in Lansing from white union democrat goons who ripped town the AFP tent and trashed the hot dog cart of a friend of mine. That's a lot worse than some dumbass twits, I mean tweets.

It's said that those students are going to be reprimanded. If I was dad, I'd be sending them up to Flint for some community service and an education as I wouldn't be accepting of that stuff who would be embarrassing with my last name. In house, no media involvement. I'd also be teaching about the first word in World Wide Web. World.

I fully expect the tweeters to grow up and realize that what is posted online matters. I don't expect the "waving the bloody shirt" media to do the same.










No comments: