Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Gun Grabber Mayor Convicted of Gun Crime

More hypocracy from the Guns for me, not for you crowd

CNSNews.com) - A Mississippi mayor has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor weapons charges after carrying a handgun on church and school property, and a gun rights group thinks now would be a good time for him to step down from Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG).

Jackson Mayor Frank Melton, a Democrat, pleaded guilty Nov. 15 to the misdemeanors to avoid felony charges that would have cost him his job. Instead of jail time, he was fined $1,500 and put on a year's probation.

Lawrence Keane, director of the gun rights lobbying group National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), on Tuesday called Melton a "hypocrite" for violating gun laws while maintaining membership in MAIG.

MAIG is a coalition of American mayors headed by New York Republican Michael Bloomberg. On its website, the group says it "respect[s] the rights of law-abiding citizens to own guns" and that their "only interest is in fighting crime."


How about banning gun grabbing politicians instead like the rich leftist RINO Bloomberg and convict Melton?

3 comments:

bluzie said...

No one is above the law. So refresh my memory, do you think it's okay to carry concealed weapons illegally? Or do you think everyone should be packing a pistol? It's hard for me to understand just where you draw the line or if there is one to draw?

Republican Michigander said...

I was pointing out the hypocracy by a large number - if not majority of gun grabbers who support "guns for the elite, not for the little people." The Dianne Feinsteins, Rosie O'Donnells, Don Peratas, and Jay Rockefellers of the world.

As far as concealed carry goes, my preference is for Alaska carry. All adults who can legally own a firearm are allowed to carry one concealed without a permit (known as Vermont Carry). CCW licences are also still allowed for reciprocity purposes if one wants to carry in another state (subject to that state's laws).

Alaksa and Vermont are the only two states that allow concealed carry without a permit. Arizona allows open carry without a permit. I'm personally not a big fan of open carry as it scares more people. I support Vermont Carry. Those who I don't trust to own a firearm I don't trust to be on the street in the first place with fists, feet, knives, etc. Those people belong in a jailcell. (Convicted violent felons, those types)

I also don't expect Alaska carry to pass at this time as I fully recognize that a version of "Shall issue" (as is the case in over 40 states including Michigan) to be the mainstream position. Shall issue took 20 years to become mainstream, I expect 25 years before Alaska Carry to become mainstream, starting in stongly small l libertarian states like Wyoming, Idaho, and maybe New Hampshire.

bluzie said...

I am a Democrat and I could not agree more with you. I would suspect there are more people like me than you would expect. I still think if you have children living in your home under the age of 12 you should have child safety locks or guns in a locked cabinet.
That may seem wrong to some, but to me, it's just common sense.
No one should need to jump through hoops to own a gun. We have laws to keep those not permitted to own guns and to keep law abidding citizens filling out forms while the crooks buy guns from their friends, is just ridiculous to me.