Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Who is Jim Gilmore?

One of the more intriging candidates running this year is former Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore. All I really knew about him is that he was against Virginia's car tax, a fiscal conservative, and a former governor term limited out. (Virginia allows only one term, although a former governor may run for a 2nd term after a four year hiatus). Governors become presidents, so I wanted to take a closer look at his record.

Draft Gilmore Site - I found this site when looking for some information on Jim Gilmore. This is a good start.

He's running on national security (Virginia's 9/11 recovery was on his watch), immigration reform, low taxes, and pork busting. I'd need to know more his record before making any endorsements, but if it is nearly as good as the site advertises, I could see myself voting for him if Mark Sanford or Mike Pence doesn't run.

1 comment:

Steve Rankin said...

Like you, I'm unhappy with the "Big Three" candidates for the GOP presidential nomination. I've been researching Jim Gilmore for the last few days.

The reviews from Virginians are mixed on his record as governor and his potential as a president. As a limited-government person, I have great admiration for any politician who has the nerve to even suggest cutting taxes.

I was perturbed to find a piece that called Gilmore "pro-choice through the first 13 weeks." As best as I can determine, he's pro-life but not a crusader to overturn Roe v. Wade. He ran as a pro-lifer in his winning 1997 race.

A Gilmore article has just been posted on one of my favorite Virginia blogs: http://renaissanceruminations.wordpress.com.

~~ Steve Rankin
Jackson, Mississippi
http://southerncrown.blogspot.com/