Friday, October 07, 2005

Democrats set up a county office

From the Argus


Democrats now have a permanent home in Livingston County, as the party — for years a virtual nonfactor in local politics — prepares to move into its new, year-round office.
Currently home only to a few computers, chairs, tables and a smattering of political lawn signs, Democratic officials hope the office on Grand River Avenue in Brighton Township will be the place where the party's rebirth happens.

"When you're developing a base and reaching out to people, if you have a place that people can come in and volunteer, it makes it a lot easier," said Joe Carney, county Democratic chairman. "A lot of work has been done over many years to lay the foundation for this."


I have to tip my hat to Joe Carney for giving us a fight. It makes both of our parties better in the long run. I hope people in my own party are concerned and scared about Joe Carney winning a school boards seat. The democrats in our county want us to be complacent and want us to become lazy. Combine that with the perfect storm of infighting, an anti-incumbent mood, strong funding, and low turnout, and that is how the democrats can win with a strong candidate. Not every candidate is going to be a joke like Frank McAlpine was in 2002.

This is a major gamble and investment by the democrats. The office is going to drain their coffers, bigtime. I'd have to guess $15,000 a year in rent, plus phone, electricity, gas, internet, and water costs each month. Even with the union money from the IBEW and MRCC, that's still a good chunck of change in administrative costs, which is fine by me. That's money that does not go towards campaigns. $20000 was twice what my representative, Joe Hune, spent in his first race.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is the MRCC?

Republican Michigander said...

IBEW - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (I think)

MRCC - Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what got into Joe. All these years things have been so quiet. Now he wins the school board and gets a big new office!

Anonymous said...

$15,000 per month? That's just plain nuts!

true believer said...

I want to see this $15,000 a month office. Where is it?
Do they have paid staff?
Do they have enough people to keep it open?

Republican Michigander said...

I estimated $15,000 a year, not a month and edited that. I think the only $15,000 a month office is in New York City. It it was $180,000 a year, I'd buy an office. :)

I suspect it's about $1000/month or so. That's the usual going rate in the county on a major road like Grand River, although Fonda Place is on the other side of Old 23 so it may be slightly less. Still, nothing is cheap on Grand River.

true believer said...

I see, this makes more sense.
Sorry I didn't see your correction.

Anonymous said...

Hey when are we going to buy a building? I thought that was in the works?

Anonymous said...

Hey when are we going to buy a building? I thought that was in the works?

Anonymous said...

I am going to see this office and what is going on with the Livingston County Democrats.

I will let you all know what's going on!

I want to know why they think they need an office.