Thursday, October 27, 2005

Miers withdraws

From the AP



Bush abandons push for Miers nomination

WASHINGTON (AP) — Under withering attack from conservatives, President Bush abandoned his push to put loyalist Harriet Miers on the Supreme Court and promised a quick replacement Thursday. Democrats accused him of bowing to the "radical right wing of the Republican Party."

The White House said Miers had withdrawn because of senators' demands to see internal documents related to her role as counsel to the president. But politics played a larger role: Bush's conservative backers had doubts about her ideological purity, and Democrats had little incentive to help the nominee or the embattled GOP president.



1. I thought they should have waiting until the hearings. What bothers me is that Miers did not have a chance to defend herself. She wasn't my first choice, and I certainly had doubts after that Washington Post reprint of one of her speeches, but I was going to wait and give her the same courtesy I gave John Roberts. The risk with an unknown is that it would be either David Souter, or it could be the next Alex Kozinski.

2. The democrats played this smart by keeping their traps shut outside of talking about questions. This makes the withdraw infighting and not partisan politics.

3. The right caused Bush to blink. Now Bush has two options here. He can say screw the right and pick Al Gonzales or another liberal, or he can pick someone like Alex Kozinski and damn the torpedos. I have no idea who it'll be. I hope it's not Al Gonzales. I'll push for the borking of that gun grabber myself.

There are many qualified picks which President Buch can choose. Judge Alex Kozinski would be my first choice. Michigan Supreme Court Justice Maura Corrigan would be another good pick for the country, although it would give Granholm the pick of a Supreme Court judge here in Michigan.

Once again, it's wait and see.

No comments: