Thursday, November 03, 2005

Patrick Flynn challenging Congressman Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers will be having a challenger in the primary for the first time since maybe 1994 when he first ran for state senate.

From the Argus



Lawmaker faces election challenge — House hopeful questions GOP congressman's conservative credentials
By Dan Meisler
DAILY PRESS & ARGUS

The business manager of a Green Oak Township church plans to challenge U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, in the August 2006 Republican primary election.
Patrick Flynn, 46, said Rogers has joined moderate Republicans and embraced the philosophy of attracting social liberals to the party, threatening the GOP's platform of traditional moral values.

"Their goal is to bring social liberals into the party," Flynn said. "That's not pro-life or pro-family."


Flynn's proof for that allegation is Rogers' participation in helping bring Christine Todd Whitman to Michigan for a speech in May. Whitman, former head of the Environmental Protection Agency under President George W. Bush, was promoting a book calling on moderates to exert more influence in the GOP.


I've met Patrick Flynn twice, and he seems like a good guy. He's an Irish Catholic like I am. He also has a good grasp of the issues, and isn't a "typical politician". I certainly can not question Patrick's guts, since he is going to take a lot of initial heat from this.

I also happen to know Mike Rogers. While like Patrick I disagree with him having the event with Whitman, his voting record is good on most of the issues that matter to me. I'm pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment, support lower taxes, and oppose McCain/Feingold. Congressman Mike's been very good on those issues voting wise. When push comes to shove, I can count on him. Mike's also given me a straight answer on questions every time I've asked him something.

On a competency level, Mike's staff in Michigan does an excellent job. There is very little turnover at his office, and most of them have been there for years. That says a lot about a congressman. It will hurt our county and our state losing that. Unless things change dramatically and Mike turns pro-abortion, anti-gun, or pro-tax, my vote stays with Mike.

That said, while I disagree with Patrick's decision to primary Congressman Mike, I'm glad he's active, and I hope he stays active. I know Patrick has posted here before, and I invite him to respond to my comments here.

7 comments:

Patrick Flynn said...

Thank you for the opportunity. "It's My Party Too" is the destructive PAC that Mike seems comfortable cooperating with. Well, those champions of inclusion have posted on their website an anti-Christian article. See www.mypartytoo.com/news/10-26-05.htm Obviously it reflects the views of the PAC. Its opening sentence is "The influence of evangelical Christians in the Republican Party hurts the organization and divides the country." What happened to the big tent?? What if it declared that Jews or Blacks are damaging the party? Do you think they would have some explaining to do? We Christians just sit back and accept the bigotry. Big Tent, my foot! Their agenda is clear. I think that Mike should publicly apologize to his constituents for his cooperation with these hateful scoundrels.
Look friends, I'm referring to a large cancer in our party. You can be upset at me for saying it, but it's true. Whitman is only one example albiet a significant one. You know as well as I that we have a 55 vote majority in the Senate and we better not try to get a conservative justice confirmed. Why?? It's because so many congressional Repubs have sold out. I'm asking for your help. Help me to defend and preserve our pro-life, pro-family platform from those determined to destroy it. You see, I'm 46 years old. I've seen moral compromise destroy so many lives. I'm not fooling around anymore. I don't care if Republicans get mad at me for exposing our problems. Am I to be chastised for holding my representatives accountable for the promises they made to get to Washington? If so, then bring it on. I'm just no longer comfortable sitting back and doing nothing while liberals lie and cheat their way into positions of power. Please check out my website. It tells you who I am. It's all on the table. I appreciate all of you District 8'ers. This is my home. It occupies a deep place in my heart. You all deserve nothing but the best.
Patrick

Ken Melhman said...

Daniel:

Patrick Running is a good thing. If he gets 20% it will force Rogers to remember and keep himself honest. It will keep Rogers voting in favor of guns.

Republican Michigander said...

"Ken" (Craig? Andy? Miller? Alex? - I figure is one of y'all) - I understand that point, but what would 30% do in the long run? I may be wrong, but I expect to see a 70-30 primary. That's just my blunt honest opinion. I just hope this primary stays issues oriented and positive so we don't have surprise in 06. The last thing I want to see is "Congresscritter Dianne Byrum".

I'd rather see Patrick run for an open seat or against a democrat or real RINO. I'd back him over someone like Bud "Tree Ordinance" Prine in a minute. I'd back him for any of the local school board (especially Howell) positions in a minute. I think with a good campaign organization, he could easily win a school board election in his district (either Pinckney or Brighton)

Lastly, The only ones that call me Daniel are telemarketers.

Patrick Flynn said...

Dan, Am I to assume from the above comment that the Ken "Melhman" listed above is not THE Ken Mehlman, Chair of the RNC? I'm devastated! I thought my humble campaign had received national attention. Oh well, I suppose the real Ken would not have misspelled his own name.

Arminius said...

hahah, it wasn't me this time. I do agree with 'Mehlman' however and will support Flynn.

Patrick Flynn said...

And I do appreciate that. I realize that trust is a hard thing to ask for these days.

Anonymous said...

I dont understand patrick flynn> ive talked to Rep Rogers about this, his staff, supporters and every one in between. Seems he votes the way he does because he BELIEVES in it. He is one of the guys guys (not a convenient consertvative) that has done so much for so many. (he helped my mother on a prob with soc sec). Sounds to me flynn is an opportunist. He has only been in michigan for two yrs and he is here to help us? i dont think its fair that we ask a guy to work hard and support our causes, he does, and someone who cant keep a job runs against him. im for rogers and will hard for him!!!