Tuesday, August 02, 2005

State Senator Valde Garcia not running for Governor


I knew Valde Garcia was on the fence about running for governor beforehand and would soon make a final decision. He would have had my vote if he ran for governor. I believe he has one more term left in the State Senate if he plans on running for re-election. If he runs for re-election, I'll be voting for him.

""""Republican state senator from Howell won't run for governor
8/2/2005, 9:40 a.m. ET
The Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A Republican state senator said Tuesday he will not run against Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm in 2006.

Sen. Valde Garcia, a 46-year-old U.S. Army veteran from Howell, previously said he likely would not run if a better-known, better-funded or more qualified GOP candidate came forward. Dick DeVos, former president of Alticor Inc. and Amway Corp. and member of one of Michigan's wealthiest families, announced in June that he was getting into the race.

"For a variety of reasons, some of them personal, I have decided not to pursue running for governor at this time," Garcia said Tuesday in a written statement. "While I appreciated all the encouragement from a wide number of people from around the state, now is just not the right time.""""

1 comment:

Pastor Terry Gorden said...

I went to college with Valde Garcia, and I remember him as being a fine and decent Christian man.

Terry Gorden
Pastor
Covenant Family Fellowship
Westminster, Maryland

http://covenantfamilyfellowship.blogspot.com/