Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mike Bloomberg leaves GOP

No surprise, he was never one of us to begin with. He switched parties so he wouldn't have to deal with a tough primary in his mayoral run, and the limosine leftists and yuppies in Manhattan would back a white guy liberal "Republican" (John Lindsey) with a "tough on crime" stance over a minority or labor democrat.

NEW YORK - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday switched his party status from Republican to unaffiliated, a stunning move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.

The billionaire former CEO, who was a lifelong Democrat before he switched to the GOP for his first mayoral run, said the change in voter registration does not mean he is running for president.

"Although my plans for the future haven't changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our city," he said in a statement.


I think Bloomberg is running in 08. He can't run as a republican since he has no chance - not to mention that anyone who would think about backing him would back Giuliani who is more charasmatic.

He's always been a domestic leftist with a neo-conservative leaning foreign policy, and most of the candidates he's supported over the years (both parties) lean that way. Joe Lieberman was his favorite last year.

I would actually rather see a leftist Democrat (Capital D) win than Bloomberg. My politics in general are almost a complete 180 opposite of Bloomberg. That said, I hope he runs, since he'd be a John Anderson on steroids. I discussed the possible 2008 run awhile back - Bloomberg - Hell no!

No comments: