Sunday, April 01, 2007

Howell Schools Super Chuck Breiner to Saginaw?

This could be significant with contract disputes and school board elections on the horizon.

From the Argus
An intermediate school district that covers 13 school systems in the Saginaw area is courting Howell Public Schools Superintendent Chuck Breiner for its top job.
Breiner, who has headed up Livingston County's largest district since 1999, is one of four finalists for the superintendent position with the Saginaw Intermediate School District.



"I think it's an opportunity for growth and, working in an ISD, I think (it) gives you a larger view of education," Breiner said. "In this case, it's over a dozen school districts that would be connected to the ISD there.


"There's diversity there, across lots of different lines — economically, socially and in many other ways and I think that would be a wonderful challenge."

(snip)

The regional district, which encompasses 38,000 students, 13 school districts and several community education programs and buildings, is looking to pay a base salary between $130,000 and $150,000.

According to the district's 2005-2006 annual report, the superintendent also receives an expense account, leased vehicle and supplemental compensation of $15,000.

Breiner currently makes a base salary of $140,000 as the top administrator in the Howell district, which has more than 8,500 students.


$140,000 base salary? That's damn good money. Leased car as well? I'm sure it wasn't a used car or a Ford Pinto, not there is anything wrong with a Pinto. For $140,000+ a year, the super can drive his own wheels. Even our congressman, state reps and state senators drive their own cars.

I would not be saddened to see him take the Saginaw job. I remember when he was job hunting and used Rochester to get himself a big raise here in 04. I don't have a problem with him doing that, but I do not support the board doing that, and then at the same time asking for a Headlee Override tax increase. The tax failed to pass. Breiner called the voters uneducated and then a second election was scheduled, this time on a Monday in September which passed thanks to a 10% turnout.

There's also all the social issues disputes. I won't mention those any further as that horse has been beaten to death. All I will say is that a good leader would have ended these issues when they started two years ago. Besides the tax cheerleading and the social issue blunders (due to bad leadership), how can the board have a major moral ground in contract negotiations with the teachers' union when the topheavy admins get major raises?

Personally, I'd let Breiner go to Saginaw, promote one of the more responsible assistant admins there from within, (Rick Terres or Lynn Parrish), and eliminate at least one of the assistant super positions.

We have Parker High opening, Howell High renovations, and a contract dispute going in full force, and the lack of funds for operation. These are pressing issues for the largest school district here in Livingston County. There's a school board election this May, and we need to elect two fiscaly responsible individuals who will bring new leadership to Howell Schools. Bill Harvey and Doug Moore have earned the endorsement of the Concerned Taxpayers Group PAC, and will bring fiscal responsibilty to the board.

It's time for Howell to move forward in a new direction.

2 comments:

Bachbone said...

If he gets the job, he will earn every penny of the salary and perks. Saginaw schools are a hell hole; a DEEtroit and Flint on a slightly smaller scale. Weapons brought to schools are still happening despite hall guards and metal detectors. Gangs are working their magic on rival gangs. Experienced teachers and administrators are getting out as fast as they can. Saginaw's police force has been cut over 50% from 10 or 15 years ago. My advice to Breiner would be to run! Run as fast as he can to withdraw his name from consideration unless he plans to live like a pauper for a year, bank the salary and leave while he has his health.

Anonymous said...

As a student of HPS, I am deeply disgusted in how Mr. Briener has run the district...it has gotten to the point where teachers are offering extra credit to bring in pencils, kleenex, etc. While all this is happening Mr. Briener is getting a pay raise. I will be glad to see him go.