Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Mike Rogers' opponent quits the race

This is a real kick in the nuts for the democrats.

From the Argus:


East Lansing Democrat Kande Ngalamulume today announced he's ending his run for Congress against U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton.

Ngalamulume said he's closed his campaign office and terminated all campaign efforts.

This is a shot at the democrat establishment here, along with a lot of the activists.

“It is with a grieving heart that I must announce I am ending my campaign for Congress. After two difficult months of trying to get this grassroots campaign off the ground, it is now apparent to me that there is not enough interest amongst the political establishment and many constituents in this district to replace Mike Rogers in Congress," Ngalamulume said. "As a result, I am suspending my campaign at once."

He added: "All along, I knew that trying to unseat a five-term incumbent would be a rather difficult proposition; however, I did not let that deter me from jumping into the trenches to fight for the future of this great state that I love. I will always be proud of what we were able to accomplish, with very limited resources, and in such a short period of time."

I think Ngalamulume's name is still going to be on the ballot so I'm not going to change my 8th district page listing him as a candidate, but this one's all but over for sure now. It takes more than a name on the ballot to win most of the time. It's like McCain quitting on Michigan and announcing it in 08. It doesn't go over well.

This district has a slight GOP lean outside of massacre years like 08, but it's never completely safe with Lansing, East Lansing, and Okemos.

The best news about this is that it frees up money to go after Peters and Schauer, and to target Stupak's old seat.

No comments: