Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pete Hoekstra supports a tax increase

We all know Andy Dillon supports higher taxes, but I'm a little disappointed in Hoekstra. He was until this my second choice for governor, and one where I wouldn't have to hold my nose in supporting outside of that one bailout vote that left me a bit sour. Well, now the bailout vote isn't the only thing that has me sour.

From the Detroit News


Beverly Hills -- Two early poll leaders in the Michigan governor's race -- Democrat Andy Dillon and Republican Pete Hoekstra -- found more common ground than differences Friday in a rare joint appearance at Detroit Country Day School.
They agreed term limits block political relationships in Lansing; it takes too long for businesses to get regulatory permits; right-to-work legislation would be too divisive; and the state needs to retool its tax system, including extending the sales tax to services.

4 comments:

friend said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Republican Michigander said...

No spambots allowed.

Julian Meade said...

1. I read ComGu's comments about Joe Hune. What facts did he twist?

2. Pete Hoekstra wants a tax on service. Is he a proponent of the fair tax proposal?

3. Do you know if he wants to limit spending to some percentage of the economy, or would his service tax continue to fund the spending in lansing?


I am researching candidates for Governor and ran across your site.

I like your articles, good writing.

Republican Michigander said...

Old thread, so I need to check some things.

1. I couldn't find the actual quotes Kevin said about Joe, so I'll say this for now. Hune's a straightforward guy. If he supports, or opposes something, he won't hesitate about saying so. He voted against all of the tax increases and fee increases as a state rep, and will probably do the same as a state senator. He was my rep when I lived in Howell, so I'm quite familiar with his record.

2. Hoekstra supports the fairtax on the federal level, but wants the Granholm services tax to replace the business tax, increasing taxes on individuals. If it was to replace the property tax or income tax as well as a detailed plan to reign in spending, I'd be less irked. It looks to me as he's being a yesman for the self proclaimed "Business leaders for Michigan" which has some good ideas, but some bad as well. I say that due to the timing of Hoekstra's announcements right soon after their push.

3. I'm waiting to see real reforms from all the candidates. Mike Cox has this, which is the most detailed - http://www.mikecox2010.com/the_plan/. Full disclosure, that's who I'm supporting.