Friday, October 16, 2009

New Format and Layout

We are testing a new format here. After several years, we decided it would be best to update the templates. I was not happy with how the 19th Senate District posts came up. I had some rare time, went into a zone when I started writing on this district, and it took me a long time to write it. I caught a bit of the numbers crunching bug again and unlike the old county posts, this one was able to copy/paste my excel post. It was some of my best work on this related stuff in a long long time and brought me back to my roots. One of the reasons why the county stuff was not updated  was due to the disasters in 2006 and 2008. It was a bit disheartening and I focused less on the numbers than before, and more on the problems and reasons why 06 happened, and wanted to avoid an 08 repeat. Needless to say, the leadership didn't learn, and 08 was another disaster. Things are starting to get interesting again, although there's still a long ways to go.

I was glad to see the copy/past of the table work. This will make any updates to county and district profiles much better when we finally get around to updating them after three plus years. Because it's been so long, I'll probably start them from scratch.

While a few links were hurt from the changeover, the news/blog feeds from some of my favorite political sites make up for it.Things will probably be added as time goes on.

1 comment:

Orlin said...

I had the same problem. Try copying and pasting using UTF-8 encoding. Do that by opening notepad (via Start, programs, accessories), pulling down UTF-8 encoding and saving the file. Paste it and it should work fine.