Sunday, October 29, 2006

This goes WAY too far

This drill really chafes at my libertarian side is another reason why I plan on sending my kids to Catholic schools. From the GR Press.

Realistic school drill riles parents
Saturday, October 28, 2006
By Barton Deiters
The Grand Rapids Press
WYOMING -- Students at Lee Middle and High School got a realistic look at what could happen if there was a threat in the school building. But some parents are saying it was too realistic.

On Thursday afternoon, Wyoming Police officers in riot gear with weapons out entered one high school and one eighth-grade classroom, both filled with young teens and announced there was a threat to the school. Students were unaware it was a drill.

Students were taken from the classroom into the halls and patted down by officers and asked what they had in their pockets.

One student responded he had a "razor," which got the attention of officers, but quickly added he was referring to a "Razr" brand cellular phone, according to reports from students, parents and Principal David Britten.

Officers were wearing their protective tactical gear, which includes vests and helmets, and carried rifles that were unloaded and marked with colored tape designed to indicate they were not live weapons.

"Some of these kids were so scared, they just about wet their pants," said Marge Bradshaw, a parent with four children in Godfrey-Lee Schools. "I think it's pure wrong that the students and parents were not informed of this."

8 comments:

Pogo said...

I agree. School violence has become far too frequent in recent years and people are highly sensitive about this topic. It was wrong to scare students and staff so badly as it could have triggered a medical emergency or even a serious accident. If the local police wanted to hold a drill like this they should have done it on a weekend when the school was not in use and had informed volunteers in the classrooms.

BigShot said...

While I agree that this drill was not well executed, I am astounded by Dan's remarke that he will send his kids to Catholic School!! While Public Schools has its faults many of my kids friends who attend Catholic Schools are not "Catholic" students. They dress like the "Trouble Makers" at my kids school when they are not attending class. Every system has its problems, but one thing must be made clear, that Public Schools must be supported 110%.

liberals Hate America said...

Bigshot, Our public school system is a joke, we are raising a generation of idiots. Watch Stupid In America and then reply as to why we should back Public Schools 110%


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRUMmTs0ZA


This should come as no surprise once you remember that public education in the USA is a government monopoly. Don't like your public school? Tough. The school is terrible? Tough. Your taxes fund that school regardless of whether it's good or bad. That's why government monopolies routinely fail their customers. Union-dominated monopolies are even worse.
The inability to fire the bad and reward the good is the biggest reason schools fail the kids. Lack of money is often cited the reason schools fail, but America doubled per pupil spending, adjusting for inflation, over the last 30 years. Test scores and graduation rates stayed flat. New York City now spends an extraordinary $11,000 per student. That's $220,000 for a classroom of twenty kids. Couldn't you hire two or three excellent teachers and do a better job with $220,000?

Only a monopoly can spend that much money and still fail the kids.

BigShot said...

While I believe that Unions are the downfull of schools, and capitalism, we must back out school system 110% because the majority of our youth attend public schools. I believe that good teachers are hardly recognized, but we still have to support the system to make it better.

Curley Sue said...

Big Shot,

We shouldn't back something 110% when it is flawed or failing. We should back the kids 110% by ensuring that where they go to school is first class and working. The only way to recognize good teachers that are represented by a Union is by applause. You cannot pay them more than their not so great colleagues. You also can't get rid of the bad ones who so pollute the system and such the life and attention from the good ones unless you follow a procedure that takes years to complete. Priority for support needs to be on the kids, but I applaud your loyalty.

BigShot said...

As I said before, I do not support unions. In fact I believe that our schools would be a lot better off if they eliminated unions. I remember when I was in High School that a lot of my teachers were horrible, and could care less about teaching. I also dont agree with the situaiton in Wyoming. I thank you though for your good points.

BigShot said...

As I said before, I do not support unions. In fact I believe that our schools would be a lot better off if they eliminated unions. I remember when I was in High School that a lot of my teachers were horrible, and could care less about teaching. I also dont agree with the situaiton in Wyoming. I thank you though for your good points.

Me said...

A great place to find out everything you ever wanted to know about DETROIT AND MICHIGAN